Hopefully, you followed along with us during our time down in Arizona, but if not we’re going to recap our auction trip to the Mecum Auctions in Phoenix. Let’s get the bad news out of the way first. The Thunderbird made it’s way to Arizona last week, but did it find a new home? We don’t want to give it all away just yet, so here’s the tale of my recent trip to Arizona with our 1966 Ford Thunderbird

Getting the Thunderbird registered for the auction was by far the worst part. Even more so than having it transported, the amount of paperwork and title work from our dealership was a nightmare. We’ve owned this vehicle for more than five years now and during that time we went through a dealership name change where it was titled. That did not sit well with the titling folks at Mecum, and after about 60 emails and 20 phone calls later (with 3 people helping me) we finally had it all sorted out. Then we put the Thunderbird on a transporter and sent it off to Arizona. Easy right? well…

The driver was coming through Denver and Flagstaff. The problem there was it was snowing a lot that way and the vehicle wasn’t going to get dropped on Tuesday when I arrived. Luckily there was another day for check-ins, but I had an entire day to wait around anxiously hoping that the vehicle would arrive. So I did what any car person would do, go look at cars! We found a couple of pretty cool local stores and dealerships to visit, but my favorite was this M3 race car sitting next to a couple 944 race cars (one of which had 600hp and was for sale). Maybe that wasn’t the best car I found, but a 996 GT2, Black-Series Mercedes, Lambo Urus, and a Porsche GT3RS rounded out at least my top 5.

Once the car arrived, we got it tracked down and registered to run across the block on Thursday. We also had a bit of time to wander through the other 1,200 vehicle lots and found some stuff we wouldn’t mind bringing home.

Maybe a Dodge Charger Daytona, or a Maybach convertible? Yes, I found something I could drive on the weekends, and then be happy with for the rest of my days. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a budget for buying, only for selling so we wandered away and came back on Thursday morning.

We got to the stadium on Thursday and it almost felt like a cars and coffee event. People everywhere and excitement could be felt in the air. So we wandered, waited, wandered again, and then waited some more until it was finally time to run the Thunderbird across the block.

We had a great front row spot just behind the stage once the vehicle was pulled inside around 2:00 pm that day. I stood around the car trying to get people to be as excited as I was to have one of my precious pieces of metal we’ve become so fond of, run through the auction crowd. So the time was there and the Thunderbird got to the “on deck” circle.

The bidding jumped off to a great start. 10… 15… 20 and then before I knew it, they were pushing the car off the stage and the bidding came to a hault. “Twenty one… twenty one…” I could hear the drowning out of the announcer’s voice and I knew we weren’t going to make up the remaining amount to hit our reserve. A large slam of the hammer and, “the bid goes on” was called out through the intensive loudspeakers. My heart sank and I knew, unfortunately, I’d be sending the poor little Thunderbird home.

We had some fun, we learned a lot, and heck we almost sold a car on the big stage. It was a pretty cool event and maybe the timing was wrong, or the Thunderbird market wasn’t there, but like we said before, “The bid goes on.” So we came, we saw, and we didn’t conquer, but ya know sometimes it’s more about the journey. The excitement of running a car across the block is a hard thing to explain. You don’t know where the bids are coming from, and you don’t know what will happen, and that’s what makes it so great. Are we retiring from bringing our cars to any future auctions? No way, we’ll be back and better than ever soon!