Year after year, since before I could remember, I’ve gone to Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI for the annual mid-July races. It’s had many names over the years, but now everyone simply refers to it as, “The Hawk” which you may have heard people referencing in passing. So, I’ve decided to put some reasons together as to why I think you should make your way East, to Road America for one of the best weekends of the year.
There are a few parts about, “The Weathertech International Challenge with Brian Redman presented by Hawk” that really make the trip across state lines worth it.
- Can-Am Cars: From the 1960’s through the 1980’s there was a race series called, “Can-Am” which was held in Canada and America (hence Can-Am). In my opinion, it was some of the wildest and craziest racing ever.
- The Concourse d’ Elegance in downtown Elkhart Lake: This is where two nights of race and street cars flood the streets of the downtown area with thousands of people lining the roads to see the racetrack take to the streets.
- Spectating the races from all over the track: They’ve added some new spectator spots over the past few years that really get you close to the racing action. Experiencing vintage F1 cars at a full rip down the back straight is simply amazing.
- Camping at the track: If you’re an avid camper you’re going to want to bring your tent and partake in the camping. Nothin’ like waking up in the morning to an ex-Benetton F1 car rather than your every-day-alarm-clock.
- Lasting Memories: I guarantee you’ll have some much fun at The Hawk that you’ll be coming back year after year for more racing action. You’ll even be dreaming about it all winter long while reminiscing and watching old racing videos!
The best advice I can give is to plan for the worst when you’re packing because it’s either going to be 100 degrees and sunny or 100 degrees and thunderstorms. Rarely do we get 75 and partly cloudy, so don’t forget your rain jacket and bring more than one bottle sunscreen. There are plenty of food options at the track, but bringing in some extra snacks and drinks isn’t a bad idea. Absolutely bring your camera because you’ll want to relive all the memories. Oh, and don’t forget your camping chair so you’re able to sit down to take in all the action when your feet get tired. If you’ve got any questions or concerns, drop us an email at MHCC@morries.com and we’ll let you know how to have the best time at Road America!
Don’t forget to look for myself (Adam) and Ben at the track. Ben will most likely (but hopefully not) be under his Porsche 914-6 and I’ll be riding around on a scooter!